Ok so they’re not really donuts...but they certainly look like them! And they don’t contain any white sugar or fats. I made this dish out of the blue one day when I felt like putting together apples and chocolate but didn’t know how. The taste of walnuts and chocolate blends really well with the crispy texture of the apples. The best part of this dish is that you can make it in under ten minutes and it looks great.
- Cut the apples horizontally so that the top and bottom are chopped off and the fleshiest part remains. Remove the core with a circular cut (use a pairing knife) and cut the center into two slices. You should be left with two donut shaped discs of apple. Repeat on remaining apples.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a small bowl over a pot of boiling water.
- Add in half the chopped walnuts into the melted chocolate and mix together until it forms a thick lumpy texture.
- Pour this mixture over the apples.
- Garnish with finely chopped walnuts.