Couscous is a great alternative for rice, which can be a little carb and starch heavy. Its light texture easily picks up any added complimentary flavor. I usually accompany a plate of couscous with some sauteed fish and/or a side of stir fried vegetables.
- In a pot boil 3 and a quarter cups water. Add chicken broth and stir.
- In another pan saute chopped onions, add grated ginger root.
- Mix in couscous and saute. If you like the roasted couscous taste then saute for an extra few minutes till the couscous turns dark orange.
- Pour in chicken broth mixture and stir. The couscous should barely be touching the surface of the liquid.
- Give it one quick shot of a high cooking flame and take off the burner. Close with lid and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Fork couscous till it fluffs up. It is now ready to serve.