One of my favorite vacation spots for food is Istanbul, Turkey. Apart from the typical kebabs and kofte, their eggplant based dishes are simply delicious and burst with flavor. I give the highest points to their tomato, eggplant dish that was served every morning to us for breakfast. My husband and I would go for seconds, at the least!
- Heat some vegetable oil in a pan.
- Chop the eggplants into small pieces and add to pan. Make sure you’re using a large base pan to avoid crowding of the eggplant.
- Let it cook with an open lid. Flip the eggplant so each side is cooked. When soft remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add chopped garlic. Let it sizzle, add choppped tomatoes. Once tomatoes are mushy add in the cooked eggplant. Mix well, add salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the yogurt till it becomes smooth.
- In a pestle and mortar grind salt and one pod of garlic till it becomes grainy. Add this to yogurt and mix well.
- For serving transfer the eggplant, tomato mixture to a plate.
- Spoon in the yogurt mixture one spoon at a time and mix well till desired taste is achieved.
- Serve with Italian bread.