This tangy tomato, onion based sauce mixed with red kidney beans not only gives you a protein boost but hits a spot on your palette. The mildness of kidney beans combined with a few Indian spices creates the best compliment of flavors.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add cumin and mustard seeds, whole spice.
- Let is sizzle and add ginger, onions and turmeric.
- Cook till onions have browned. Add green chilli, garlic.
- Add tomatoes either chopped or blended. Add all dry spices, mix well.
- Roast or cook till the mixture starts sticking together.
- Add kidney beans with their water (full of nutrients when soaked).
- Add tamarind or dry mango powder, salt and pour more water if needed; water level should be only a little above layer of the beans.
- Stir well and cover with pressure cooker lid. Heat on medium for an hour.
- Let there be a few whistles and then let cook until steam is all gone from the inside of the cooker (until you stop hearing the low whistling sound).
- Remove extra steam by lifting top nozzle of cooker with a spoon.
- Take lid off and mix well. If more cooking is needed simmer with lid open until kidney beans are soft.
- Garnish with a generous amount of chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve with rice, bread or toast.