Great alternative to Eggs Benedict with the goodness of spinach. I love making this for weekend brunch and always serve it with a chilled Very Berry Smoothie (see recipe under Drinks). The bright colors, contrasting textures and deliciousness of eggs ‘done right’ on bread make this such a perfect hearty breakfast!
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and saute for a minute. Add the garlic and saute again until lightly brown.
- Now add the spinach in small batches and mix together - stirring and waiting for each batch to wilt slowly. The spinach will reduce substantially in volume. Season with salt and a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg.
- For the sauce, mix together the vegenaise and hot sauce in a small bowl. Add a little salt as per taste.
- To poach the eggs, break each egg into individual cups or small bowls. Fill a large saucepan or medium skillet halfway with water. Add the vinegar and salt and bring to a good simmer. Slowly pour the eggs one by one into the water and cover. Cut the heat and allow to sit 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slice the English muffins into half so you have two equally thick discs and toast them lightly in a toaster or oven. On the inner side of one slice, spread some of the prepared sauce and place some spinach.
- Gently remove an egg from the water with a slotted spoon and place on top of the spinach. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Ladle some more of the sauce over the egg if you prefer and garnish with parsley before serving.
- Repeat for the other eggs.