There is nothing like starting your morning with home-baked granola with all the nutrition of seeds and nuts covered in chocolatey oats. I normally add chopped fresh strawberries or bananas and some almond milk to my bowl to give it a cold smooth contrast. Made with natural sweeteners only, this breakfast is bound to start your day with a healthy doze of energy and will keep you full for a long time.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients (except chia seeds) together and mix well.
- Add the agave or maple syrup to the mix and stir lightly until all the dry ingredients are coated with the sweetener and slightly sticky. The mix will still be dry but will form small clumps of oats.
- Spread the mix onto the baking tray and bake in oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Switch off the oven with the baking tray in it and let the remaining heat cook the granola for another 3-5 minutes (depending on how crunchy you want it to be).
- Remove, cool and add the chia seeds. Mix thoroughly and store in airtight container.
Tip: We add the chia seeds in the end to retain its nutritious properties which are depleted by heat. Since they are small, the seeds will tend to settle at the bottom of your container, so remember to scoop from the bottom when serving.