Not your typical pancake, these gluten-free pancakes are made fully with almond meal. They're crispier and crumblier in texture than regular pancakes and have the delicate taste of almonds with bursts of caramelized banana in between. I love making these pancakes to mix things up a bit for weekend brunches, especially if I have kids over...definitely a hit with them. They're so full of vitamins and proteins, you can have as many as you want...and that's always good news when it comes to pancakes!
- If you don't have almond meal, finely ground the almonds in a food processor first. If you have almond meal or flour, skip this step.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and add the eggs, oil, agave or honey, extract and almond milk to it. Combine the wet and dry with a good stir. Let this mix rest for 3-5 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a non-stick pan with a teaspoon of oil.
- Pour in a ladle full of batter enough to form a 4 inch wide pancake and place 3-4 thin slices of bananas equidistantly. Flip when browned to desired level keeping in mind that the banana will brown faster.
- Serve hot with maple syrup and other fruits of choice.
If you don't have baking powder, you can use sparkling water instead of regular water for the liquid. This may help make the pancakes fluffy.