Turmeric has innumerable health benefits from cancer fighting to skin healing so I am always trying to find ways to add it to my food. I put it as a powder to any Indian cooking I do and sometime also to Mexican dishes. But like most natural foods, it retains its medicinal properties best when eaten without being exposed to heat via cooking. I could never imagine finding a way to eat it raw, but thanks to a creative friend of mine (thank you Suchi!) who shared this recipe with me, I now have a fun and tasty way of eating it without cooking. This pickle is sour, crunchy and tangy at the same time and accompanies any spiced meal beautifully. Easy to make and totally healthy! A must have in your fridge.
- Wash all ingredients thoroughly. Peel and cut turmeric into small pieces (1-2cms in length).
- Place turmeric pieces in the jar and squeeze all lemons into the jar until the juice covers the pieces. Make sure you don't let the lemon seeds fall in.
- Chop the jalapenos or chillies finely (remove seeds first if you don't want it too spicy) and add to jar.
- Tightly close the jar and shake well.
- Keep the jar in the fridge for up to 2 days before consuming.