What can you say about chicken cooked in a spicy, zesty sauce....nothing but delicious! It’s a staple in every Indian home because it brings back those flavors right from the Homeland. Everyone’s chicken curry tastes different - try mine out, I’m sure you won’t be too disappointed..
- Marinate the chicken with salt, lemon juice and some mashed ginger and garlic. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- In a large pot heat some oil and add the bay leaf, onion and brown for a bit.
- Add the ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Blend the tomatoes and add to the pot.
- Mix and add all the dry powders. Cook this mixture for a few minutes and add the chicken pieces. Mix well, add salt. Cover the pot for about 5,10 minutes with the heat on medium.
- Take the lid off and stir the chicken around with the mixture constantly for a good 10-15 minutes with the heat on medium-high-this is called roasting.
- Once you notice the sauce and chicken releasing their water you can turn the heat on medium and add the water to the pot. Cover and cook for a good 30 minutes.
- Check to see if the chicken looks cooked - if not cook for another 10-15 minutes with a lid on.
- Once chicken is cooked take it off the stove and stir in the yogurt slowly. You need to make sure you on’y stir in the yogurt once the pot is off the stove otherwise the yogurt will curdle.
- Mix well, add cilantro leaves for garnishing and serve hot.
If you don't have mashed ginger and garlic ready to go then just add them as whole into the blender along with the tomatoes. For chicken breast pieces you will need a shorter cooking time.