Welcome to breakfast Southern style! This super duper easy recipe is a prime example of how to take something mundane like hard-boiled eggs and turn them into something fun and fancy. Everyone loves eggs and their creamy yolks but this recipe adds some spice and kick to every bite. You can use any kind of pepper to pump up the heat, but I love the smoky flavor of chipotle in my yolks. Not only is this a great protein shot, but also lower in cholesterol, with only half the yolks needed. Serve for breakfast or at a party for hors d'oeuvres. The best part is that you can make them beforehand and refrigerate until you serve.
- Boil the eggs until hard. Peel and cool down.
- Slice the eggs long-sided and scoop out the hardened yolks into a mixing bowl. For this recipe you only need half of the yolks, so feel free to store away the other half.
- In the mixing bowl, add the vegenaise, chipotle, pepper and salt. Mix together with a fork until the yolk is evenly blended with the vegenaise and forms a thick paste.
- Using a spoon or icing/frosting tube, place the mixture in the hollow part of the egg where the yolk was removed from.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve warm or cold, as preferred.
For perfect boiled eggs: Place the eggs in a single layer in your pan and add 1-2 inches of cold water above them. As soon as the water comes to a boil, lower heat and allow water to simmer for 1 minute more. After this, shut off the heat, cover the eggs and let them lie in hot water for 12-13 minutes. Pour out the warm water and flush the eggs with cold water now. Crack and peel slowly. You'll get the perfect shiny egg surface with no bumps or bruises!