This is one of my favorite accompaniments to a soup or gazpacho. Its hearty, sweet and spicy at the same time. I always love the crumbly texture of cornbreads and this one is packed with nutrients from whole wheat which makes it a little extra crunchy. Enjoy the subtle bursts of jalapeno and cilantro in this twist to a traditional Southern favorite.
- Preheat oven to 375F or 175C. Grease an 8” rectangular pan with some oil or butter and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the oil, agave and eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture.
- Next, add in cornmeal and flour and mix until no lumps remain.
- Add in the jalapeno, garlic and salt and give it a final stir. Pour batter into the greased pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a fork/toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.