Everyone in my home simply loves caramelized onions...be it on pizzas, foccacia or in sandwiches or salads. I decided to make them at home, without any sugar and preservatives and didn't expect it to be so simple. What I love about it is that I could season it with any herb of my choice (I love rosemary). Try this flavorful recipe and enjoy the fruits of labor for up to two weeks.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil until it simmers and add the onions. Cook over medium heat until golden brown.
- Now add the herb by either finely chopping it (if you like it in your jam) or tie it in a bunch with kitchen twine. Dip the tied herbs into the onions and cook over low heat, stirring a few times, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the agave and allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes. Now increase the heat to high and cook until all the onions turn a dark golden brown color. Stir occasionally so it doesn't burn at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the wine and simmer over low heat, stirring a few times, until the jam is thick.
- Remove the twined herb at this point and season the jam with salt.
- Allow to cool and pour into a container to store.