Yes you read right...these are kebabs made from yogurt. Not only are they vegetarian, but they are super creamy and bursting with flavors of ginger, garlic and cilantro. My favorite part of these kebabs is the contrasting textures of the crunchy filling and creamy shell. Healthy, delicious and so unique! You are bound to make these many times more.
- Prepare yogurt overnight by hanging it in a cheesecloth to allow all the water to drain away. Use the thickened yogurt for the base for these kebabs.
- To the hung yogurt, add the gram flour, spices, cilantro, salt and chilies and mix well. Set aside.
- Now mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl and set aside as well.
- Wash hands thoroughly and moisten with a drop of oil. Scoop a tablespoon of the base mix and using your hands create a small ball. Use your thumb or index finger to create a hole or indentation in the center of the ball. Fill this hole with the filling mixture. Close the hole by rolling the ball in your hands again and flatten slightly to fry the kebab. You should end up with an approximately 2 inches wide kebab. Repeat with rest of mixture.
- Heat a frying pan with some oil and prepare to shallow fry the kebabs in them. Add the kebabs to the pan and flip when the under side is lightly browned (about 2-3 minutes).
- When both sides are lightly browned, your kebab is done. Serve hot with cilantro mint chutney or any other sauce of your choice.
Gram flour is derived from dried garbanzo beans and powdered fine. You can easily find it in any grocery store or replace it with corn or whole wheat flower in this recipe.