A pancake that is not only delicious but also is also a great source of protein for vegetarians. Perfect for lunch or dinner. Since it is very high in fiber, these pancakes fill you up quickly and you can assured that you wouldn't crave food for a couple of hours!
- Soak all the lentils (split bengal gram, split black gram, split green gram, split red gram) for 1-2 hours.
- Grind the lentils along with the red chilli, ginger, green chilli and coriander to a coarse paste in a blender/grinder. Add a little water if necessary.
- Now, add the whole wheat, curry leaves and asafoetida to this mixture and add enough water to bring it to the consistency of pancake/dosa batter. Add salt to taste.
- Heat a griddle or tawa and once it is slightly hot, pour a ladle full of the batter and spread into a circle. Make sure that the pancake is not too thick and you may sprinkle some chopped onions on top of the batter.
- Cook until light brown and then flip to cook the other side. Use sesame/gingelly oil to cook the pancake, if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy it with mint cilantro chutney (see recipe here ),onion tomato chutney or coconut chutney.
You can add the chopped onion to the batter directly instead of spreading it on top of the pancake.