You won't believe how great this tastes until you actually make it. Aside from the fact that it's packed with iron and protein this soup is so versatile it can be made as a meal served with hot brown rice on the side or just as a soup itself. Two bowls of this and trust me, you'll be happily stuffed! Kids will love it too because you hardly taste the spinach when it's mixed with lentils. Add a dollop of sour cream on the top for a delicious enhanced flavor.
- Wash and chop (roughly) the spinach leaves and stems (trim just 2 inches off the stems from the bottom)
- Wash and rinse the lentils
- In a pot add the lentils and spinach, fill with water till water level is just a little bit over the spinach lentil mixture. Add salt, bring to boil covered with a lid.
- In another pan add oil, when hot add garlic. Let them sizzle for 2 minutes
- Add onion, cook till translucent
- Add tomato. Cook on medium high flame for about 5-7 minutes till the mixture sticks together
- Add tomato, onion mixture to the lentils. Mix well and let boil for 5-10 minutes so flavors mix well together.
- Serve hot either by itself, with a hot toast or some brown rice on the side.