This cake has no sugar, butter, shortening or cream. Its also made with some whole wheat goodness. If you're a chocoholic like me and end up craving a dark, soft and moist chocolate cake from time to time, you're going to love this recipe! It has the devilishly delicious chocolate taste and offers an extra kick with some coffee. I've kept it light and not too sweet too. In my house, it was wiped out within two days! Enjoy it without guilt.
- Preheat over to 350F and oil a baking pan (9" round or square) to grease the edges.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients (except coffee) and mix together. You may want to sift the whole wheat flour if you like it to be finer.
- Boil the water and add instant coffee into it. Stir until well combined.
- Mix in all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients one by one. Be careful when you stir in the boiled coffee - do it small bit by bit.
- The batter consistency should now be thinner and easy to pour into the baking pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool for 10 to 15minutes before inverting it onto a cake plate or serving stand. Allow it to cook further before slicing and serving.
If you're craving some frosting on this cake, try it with some sweetened mascarpone (dilute it slightly with almond milk and add a tad bit of agave to sweeten it).